Thursday, April 07, 2022

From The Desk Of A Geek

From The Desk Of A Geek 

A Christian Knight 

I was finally able to sit down and watch the new Marvel comic TV show, 
Moon Knight with Cathy, Landon and Alex.

Moon Knight is a fictional character appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. The son of a rabbi, Marc Spector served as a Marine and briefly as a CIA operative before becoming a mercenary After fighting Bushman and being left for dead, a mortally wounded Spector reaches Alraune's recently unearthed tomb and is placed before a statue of the Egyptian moon god Khonshu. Spector dies, then suddenly revives, fully healed. He claims Khonshu wants him to be the "moon's knight", the left "Fist of Khonshu."

Many consider Moon Knight to be Marvel's answer to The Batman. 
Like a certain vigilante based out of Gotham City, Moon Knight certainly understood the value of brand recognition. As such, his tools kept to a lunar design philosophy. These ranged from simpler tools like his crescent moon boomerangs, all the way to the more extravagant like his crescent moon helicopter. Aside from being based around the moon, all of his vast collection of toys and his uniform were white in color to match their namesake’s pale glow.

I have always been fascinated by the idea of knighthood in books and historical literature such as The Knights Templars, and King Arthur.
In medieval times, knights were the heroes that people looked up to. They represented the highest form of service, morals, and faith. Of course, I am speaking of the ideal and not necessarily the reality. Men like King Arthur, Sir Galahad, and Sir Percival likely never existed in real life. However, the legacy remains as a standard for valor and virtue that mirrors the Christian life in many ways.

There are three principle areas where the standard of knighthood, and the Christian run in parallel. They share similarities of *Service, *Conduct, and *Warfare.

 Knights of old were first and foremost servants. Their lives, possessions, and honor were pledged in service to their lord and king. The parallels between the knight’s devotion to his lord and the Christian’s duty to Christ should be obvious. As a Christian, my life is not my own, I have been bought with a price He is the King whom we serve. 

One cannot think of the knights of old without thinking of the code of chivalry. This code governed the life of the knight and their conduct with others. As a Christian I also have demands on my conscience that my King has required. We are free from the curse of the Law but we are under obligation to Christ for the salvation we have in Him. 
Our conduct does not earn our salvation but it does reflect the gratitude we have in the salvation He has provided and demonstrates that we are His.

A knight’s primary duty was in the arena of war. He was no mere foot soldier but a specialized warrior and commander. He defended his king and lord with the sword and lance. As a Christian I am not involved in physical warfare for His Kingdom but I am a soldier in my King’s army for the ongoing spiritual war. I am called to arm myself, defend the truth, and protect those in need.

I believe that the ideal knight is a good analogy of the Christian life. Many in the church today are very comfortable with treating Christ as Savior, Lord, Mediator, and Friend but we need to also remember that we are under the monarchy of the King of kings and in His service. 
Just like the real knights of old we may fail to live up to this standard from time to time. Unlike them, we have a merciful King who has paid our debts and stands ready to forgive. Our honor for serving this King should far outshine the knights of old. Our King is far greater than any earthly ruler.

In my Christian walk it has often helped me to think of my relationship to Christ as that of a knight’s service to a benevolent King. Do not misunderstand. I hold very dear the fact that Christ is my Mediator, Savior, and Friend. The relationship we have with Christ is far more intimate than the lord to the vassal and the love we are to have toward Him is far more personal than even the greatest earthly relationship.

Regardless, in our western culture we have grown very used to thinking democratically. Our leaders are typically elected by the majority and their human faults are laid bare for all to see. We have lost the sense of respect for our leaders that was held by the knights of old for their kings. All too often this is translated to our relationship with God.

I make it my goal to serve Christ with the same honor and integrity equal to the ideal knight.
To be a Christian Knight is to accept Him as Lord and devote your Service, Conduct, and Warfare to His cause. Do I fail in this from time to time? Absolutely, but praise God that my King is also my Savior and Friend. 
I call upon my Christian brothers and sisters to join me in pursuing the goals of being a Christian Knight. 

Lonnie....

No comments: