Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Behind The Eight Ball




Ever heard that expression "behind the eight ball"... I always wonder what that mean..

Here you go...

Meaning:
A difficult position from which it is unlikely one can escape.

Origin:
From the Eight Ball version of the game of billiards, which is played on a pool table. The balls are numbered and must be potted in order. The game is forfeited if a player's cue ball hits the (black) eight ball first. A 'behind the eight ball' position leaves a player in imminent danger of losing.

Relating to pool as it does, it is no surprise that the expression is American. It dates from the early 20th century - the earliest citation I can find is from the Ohio newspaper The Marion Star, May 1916

This past two weeks I have found myself "behind the eight ball"..
Seems like no matter how hard I try.. I can please everyone..
and honestly..
Some of things that were said to me are pretty hurtful.. but you know me.. I have to keep "being the life of the party"!!

To bad when I get home the balloons and streamers are all gone.....

No comments: