Friday, December 08, 2006

“Look, up in the sky”


Every Thursday, Brady and I take time out of our busy lives to spend 60 minutes in front of the TV to watch Smallville and eat Twinkies. Yesterday’s episode was pretty good, but a line towards the very end had my mind thinking. For the last month or so, I was having some heavy loads on my shoulders. I thought I was doing a pretty good job of “keeping it locked away”, but some good friends of mine noticed that there was something wrong. Even Cathy noticed that I wasn’t “funny” this week. Anyway, as I was watching Smallville, Chloe and Clark were talking about how he [Superman] couldn’t save all the people of the world. Sometimes in my fugal thinking as a family and children’s minister, I think I can save the world by offering “parenting classes” “children’s programs”, and I get so frustrated with “grown-ups” that don’t take advantage of what we have to offer as a church. Or, people who come to me who “want to help or volunteer” and then not show up. I was at my wits in. and ready to jump across my desk and stick some one with a pencil.
Finally, Cathy and the rest gave me some of the best advice. She said to “turn it over to God”. So that is what I did, and I am doing from now on. I am starting to realize that even though I am a huge Superman fan, I am not him. I am just a vessel for God to use to some how encourage children and parents to “look up in the sky” for answers.

No comments: