Friday, August 15, 2008

Viva Las Vegas.... Margaret and Germany




If you are an avid reader of "Love-Letters", then you will notice from time to time comments left by a person named "margaret" (that is how she spells it, she never uses capital letters)

Since I been blogging, I never really introduced you to my friend "Margaret"..
So ladies and gentlemen, sit back and let me introduce you to my friend Margaret.

I believe it was the spring of '89,(just before that little desert thing in the 90's) I was stationed in Ulm, German with the 29th Signal Battalion. Well that day we were heading to the riffle range to fire off some rounds, (yea they gave me a real gun!!) anyway. Margaret had just arrived and they placed her on the truck next to me..and me, being my cool self thought I would introduce myself. (now you have to understand, in the Army, you have your last name printed on your BDU's or Battle Dressed Uniforms). So anyway.. I inched my way over to find a more comfortable seat on the deuce and a half truck, and calmly and cool said.. "Hi I am Lonnie, what is your name?" She looked at me with these "deer in the head lights eyes" and then openly and obviously, pointed to her BDU top and said.. "Can you read." (of course in a nice "Vegas style" way, you see she was from Las Vegas!!..

Anyway as time went on, she became a very good friend.I remember this one time, (and if she reads this she might remember) She walked over to the male dorms and she stood outside my window and handed me an Easter Basket, and in the basket were candy and a crystal Porsche, that I still have to day...

She even went as far as to call me on Christmas day when we both were on leave, she was in Las Vegas and I was in Kentucky...

and the cool thing is after all these years.. she still picks up the phone or shoots me an email...

So to my friend Margaret..."I lift my glass to ya"....(inside joke...October Fest)!!!
Oh... and Margaret.. what about all those commanders we had..
Capt Mattox
Capt Grover...(remember when he went out and we watched thier kids.. (such bad kids)!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember Margaret! And to this day I cannot believe they (Army) let you carry a weapon! buy the way did u find my Chrystal Brandy Glass you got in Germany? it sure would look good in my curior cabinet!!!!!!!!!!

Mom

Anonymous said...

The actual introduction was “Hi, my name is Love, Lonnie Love. What’s yours?” At this point, the Army had me brainwashed into thinking my first name was Private (my rank at the time) and last name was printed on my shirt for all to see. So when this sparking blue-eyed guy tells me his name is Love, I thought it was another line…I had no idea that would be the introduction to the best friend I would have there. BTW – I do capitalize my name! I think it is the website… Cheers!